UPDATE: made this again today and used finely chopped macadamia nuts in place of the almond flour! It was truly amazing. We are going to do that from now on!
Double S Veggie Casserole
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Servings: 12 servings
Spinach and squash make this casserole not only delicious but super quick and easy. Fabulous side dish or eat as your main dish! Low carb and Keto friendly at just 2.6 net carbs per serving!Print Recipe
- 2 medium-large yellow squash washed, and cut into thin slices
- 16 oz bag frozen chopped spinach thawed, and squeezed to drain
- 1 medium-large onion cut into slices
- 8 ounces butter unsalted, cut into pat sized portions (see picture)
- 12 ounce bag Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1-2 tsp dried oregano
- 1-2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2-1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- After prepping onions, spinach, and butter. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Gather seasonings. We do not measure but shake each one on when it is time.
- Line a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with parchment paper (makes for super easy clean up but is optional)
- Place about 6 pats of butter on bottom layer, before squash slices. Spread apart from one another.
- Add a single layer of squash slices.
- Sprinkle naked squash slices with each seasoning, we did a pretty even light sprinkle of each seasoning.
- Add sliced onions as a single layer.
- Add half of the squeezed, drained spinach.
- Add half of the shredded cheese.
- In a bowl combine almond flour, parmesan cheese, and the amounts listed for each of the seasonings. Mix to combine. Sprinkle half of this mixture on the casserole now. Save remaining half for the top of the casserole.
- Add 6-8 pats of butter.
- Repeat layers starting with naked, squash slices.
- Top final layer with almond flour mixture.
- Bake in a 375 degree F preheated oven for about 45-60 minutes. Check at about 40 minutes and keep an eye on it until it is nice and golden brown on top. Exact time will depend on your oven.
You can wash and slice squash, cut onions into slices, and squeeze, drain spinach ahead of time. This makes throwing the casserole together so much quicker. I usually prep everything the day before. Total carbs 4.3 g minus fiber 1.7 g equals 2.6 net carbs per serving We split the casserole into 12 equal servings.